Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV infection through Anus
Mar 31, 2011

Hi Dr. in our society i going to the toilet (which is used by many people in our society) with taking a bucket. (a bucket which is used commonly by the member of society and we called it "toilets bucket"). This bucket is filled with water. and after releasing the potty i wash my anus(a way from which potty is came out) with this water by my hand. But once day during going to the toilet my friend in my society whose finger is get cut with knife and some fresh blood(near about a small drop of blood) is present on his finger is put into my toilets bucket. this blood is mixed with water present in my toilets bucket. and after that i was take this bucket for toilet and then after releasing the potty(near about after 10-15 minutes) I used this water present in the bucket to wash my anus by my hand. My question is that if the HIV is present in that blood due to which the water present in toilets bucket get contaminated with HIV. Then what will be the chances of HIV infection? my another question is that this bucket is shared by many people if any blood or some potty is attach to the bucket and mixed with water in it. then it will be the risk of HIV infection?

Response from Dr. McGowan

The risk for HIV infection would be very small because the blood is become diluted in the water, also since there is no break in the mucous membranes of the anus (as might happen during sexual intercourse) there would be little risk for virus to enter.

There may be a larger risk for dysentery and spread of infectious diarrhea through this practice of sharing toileting facilities. Some of these diseases are spread by handling the buckets and then touching the face or mouth or eatng which allows ingestion of the bacteria and parasites.

Best, Joe

Previous
pinpos on my penis
Next
so worried

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.