Am I in SERIOUS HEALTH DANGER?

Hello how you doing?Hope all is well.I'm very concern,i'm a 33 years old gay male recently diagnozed hiv+ as of jan 2011.went through all the blood work and even though am still trying to fight the depression of what i'm going through, when i went to see my doctor a week ago to give me the results of my blood work cd4 and viral load test i got very paranoid.my cd4 is 240 and my viral load is 98172.how delicate is my situation?am i almost falling for aids diagnozed?and to make matter even worst i can't start HAART meds due to an inflammation of my liver,an issue that showed up in my blood exams.i have to wait a few more weeks or so to see how well my liver is healing in order to start HAART meds.I am going crazy and nervous can hardly sleep at night i just want some help i don't want to fall down to an aids diagnozed if my liver don't heal quickly.please help me.give me some light and advice.i feel the longer i wait to get on meds, the faster this virus will spread and get the best of me and send me to an early grave.i cant talk to anyone but my best friend of my hiv+ status since he's also positive but i have a wonderful mother whom i can't tell yet since she has many medical issues herself.i feel lonely and helpless.what are my chances as of now?any suggestions? thank you very much for your time.

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am sorry that you are going through all this now. Things will get better. It is good that you are focused on getting on treatment. With that motivation and a close working relationship with your health care providers you should do very well because you will be monitored for side effects.

One thing to keep in mind. You have likley had this infection for quite a while. The only thing that has changed now is that you have found out that it was there. That knowledge is a good thing because now you can fight back. The real danager was when you did not know the virus was there and could not respond. Things will not happen that fast, waiting a couple of weeks to watch your liver function will not put you at significant risk and may help avoid side effects and let you tolerate your meds better. Don't focus on the numbers and labels, an "AIDS" diagnosis doesn't have the same meaning that it did years ago. With new treatments we can help restore the balance in the immune system. Eventually as things stabilize you will be more comfortable and you will see that things are getting better. In the meantime getting support from friends or family or perhaps a counselor at the HIV center or a Community Based Organization may help you during this more stressful time.

Best, Joe

Toxoplasmosis
About the HIV