wen do i need meds

dr . i wish to have your advise as how much time (estimated) do i have to start with meds as with ur experience till date my reports are as below.

First test. Apil/2010 cd4 730 CD4% 27.75 PVL RNA- 105 Second Test. December/2010 cd4 1090 CD4% 26.55 PVL 95

How often do u think i need to get my cd4 done as i am worried as i have heard people die very soon with hiv. and i wish to live with a lot of responsibility on me for my family. Is there any way i can live for long. I am from Burma. My main question is do i have enough time to start with meds and can i live long enough to my 55's as i am 33 now. Help help help help help help help help...

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for your questions.

These numbers are very good and reassuring. The CD4 count is high which is good. It means your immune system is in good balance.

Also your viral load is low which is also very good.

If these trends continue the benefit of starting treatment early for you are less clear. So there is no emergency to start now if you lack access to treatment.

Usually I would advise checking the counts every 4 months (or 6 if you cannot arrange it) to ensure that things remain stable.

Current US guidelines recommend starting treatment when CD4 counts get to 500, or sooner in special circumstances (such as liver, kidney or heart disease) or whenever the person is ready. WHO guidelines now recommend treatment when CD4 is 350 or less. You will do fine as long as you keep on top of these values.

Best,

Joe

antibiotics
Bactrim alternative