The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

where now

Mar 31, 2011

Dear Doc I am 21 years of age and was very healty until now. On july 2 2010 I had unprotected anal sex with another male(me being top) did not think nothing of it until about 7 weeks later when I had a bad dream about catching hiv. about 2 weeks later( 9weeks post) I started haveing symptoms, low grade fevers, swollen lymp nodes in neck and back of head,lite night sweets,extrame fatigue, pain on left and right side of abnomon,depression and the list goes on. Got tested for hiv every week until 6 months all neg. Had a PCR DNA test at 4 months post neg. Went to my doctor and tested postive for EBV,Doctors said I had mono, but never tested postive on monospot test. Now it has been almost 8 months now tested for HIV and HEP ABC all neg a few weeks ago. Most symptoms are gone now but lympn nodes are smaller but not gone yet and the fatigue is still here but not as bad. Can I stop testing for HIV would EBV delay HIV and EBV

Response from Dr. McGowan

Yes, you do not have to continue testing for HIV based on the incident from last year.

Yes, EBV can cause the symptoms you describe, which is called mononucleosis. The Monospot may only be positive about half the time. The serology is more reflective of recent (acute) infection. Nothing to do for it now, most people acquire EBV at some point during your life. Please take steps to protect yourself from HIV and other STDs going forward. Best, Joe

transmision of hiv from father to son?
Herpes and side effects of Viraday

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint