Is it possible to take meds and supress HIV and never develop AIDS?

I'm recently diagnosed positive and I have yet to receive my blood results. But if worse comes to worse and I have to take meds, what I want to know is if it's possible for someone to take meds and adhere to it well and live a healthy life, and never progress to AIDS? Or is it that no matter what we will all progress to AIDS?

If the former, how common is it for one to not progress to AIDS based on the example above? With all the talk around how "the mediacations have come a long way" I just dont know to answer my own question. Please help.

Thanks,

J.

Hi J and thanks for your post.

Let's hope that you're just a worried well and don't have to confront your questions in person.

Yes, indeed, medication have come a very long way and it is entirely possible to be adherent to HIV medications and never develop AIDS. I have many patients in my clinic who have done exactly this.

Good health to you, BY

Toxoplasmosis
PEP