Toxoplasmosis

My brother has just been diagnosed with toxo, he is HIV positive and has a count of 50. He has several infections on his brain one is pressing on his left frontal lobe. He is confused and thinks he is going to jail. He keeps replaying the same memory over and over. I guess I am just wondering will he get better?

Hello and thanks for your post.

Indeed, your brother is quite ill with the Toxoplasma infections of the brain and very low CD4 count. Both issues are AIDS-defining, but with early initiation of effective treatment for HIV and treatment for the toxoplasmosis, he should expect his health to improve.

Just how much improvement he'll have is unclear at this point, and while most people recover dramatically from Toxo, some are left with residual injury.

It is important that he is getting treatments from experienced HIV care providers and starts on HIV medications in the near future.

I hope this helps and let us know how your brother's health comes around.

BY

concerned about transmission to son through bite
Is it possible to take meds and supress HIV and never develop AIDS?