PEP

I'm a gay male in a monogamous relationship. As of my last test I was HIV-. My partner is HIV+ He is on meds and his viral load is undetectable. The other night while having anal intercourse the condom broke. I was anal receptive. I immediately douched with alcohol. We went to the ER in the morning. They gave me a 5 day supply Combivir and Kaletra. The Doctor said I needed to be on a 28 day course of these meds. He wrote me a prescription for the remaining. I went to the pharmacy and was I informed these meds would cost $1,400. I made some calls and found a place who could supply me with meds free of charge but one was a different. I got the Kaletra but they gave me Truvada instead of Combivir. I have already been taking the Combivir for 5 days. Was it okay for me to switch? And what are the chances of me contracting HIV? Is it better to take all the meds at once before bedtime or should I divide the dose of Kaletra? Thank you.

Hello and thanks for your post.

With your partner's undetectable CD4 cell count, your risk should be significantly lower than if he wasn't on treatment.

I'd think that it would be fine in your case to switch from Combivir to Truvada as part of your PEP. Further, it's also ok to take all of you medicine at one time (provided that you tolerate it); Kaletra is approved for both once- and twice-daily dosing.

Hope this is helpful and best of health to you, BY

Trying to understand my results
One pill therapy