Lower dosage by mistake!

I was recently diagnosed with HIV and started treatment right away because my CD4 count was about 300. My doctor started me on Truvada + Prezista (800 mg) + Norvir (100mg) once a day. However, for the first two weeks, I mistakenly took only 400 mg of Prezista once a day (in addition to the regular dosage of Truvada and Norvir). I am now in my third week of treatment and have corrected my error and taken the regular dosage of all three meds. However, I'm VERY concerned that the past two weeks might have affected my treatment regimen -- and worse, led to viral resistance! I can't sleep thinking about this. Please help... Any thoughts? Thank you so much, Sleepless patient

Hello Sleepless and thank you for your post.

Yes, indeed, you did take a lower than ideal dose of darunavir (Prezista); there is some risk of suboptimal drug levels and therefore lower response rate. Fortunately, this was corrected early.

What should be done at this point is to let your health care provider know of the dosing error; if I were your doctor, I'd consider doing HIV viral load testing at 1 month into treatment. If the viral load has been reduced as expected (more than 90-95%), then that can be taken as a measure of the overall effectiveness of the regimen against your virus.

I hope this helps, BY

Accidental needlesticks in long term healthcare facility
A good medical care