Did I start meds too soon?

I developed acute retroviral syndrome and became very ill for 2 weeks; couldn't work and had to go to ER 3 times. I had my PCR checked during illness and was >10million and CD4 330. Saw MD 2 weeks after becoming ill and was started on meds. Reasons I was started were age 44, in long-term relationship, high VL and because I became so ill and was still not well 2 weeks after becoming ill. Was I started too soon? 10 weeks after starting VL undetectable and CD4 500. Thank you.

Hello and thanks for your post.

While there are a lot of reasons to start or thoughts (or second thoughts) about when to start, I think that you had many good reasons to start treatment when you did.

Indeed, if your CD4 count after starting was only 500, that alone (never mind all the other reasons you listed) would meet my criteria for recommending initiating treatment.

I hope that helps, BY

Maybe missed a dose
found positive hiv1