Switching to Atripla

I have been on Norvir,epivir,reyataz and vired for over almost 10 yrs. I unfortunately had to change doctors 4 yrs ago (I moved) and could not find a doc in my area who would ask or answer the right questions. I finally found a new doctor who asked and answered these questions, I think I am on the right track now. This doctor recommends switching to Atripla bec I am 500 and less than 50 vl. and that my current regimen is outdated. He will be doing further tests to determine if this is a good fit, but I am concerned about the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' It will save me lots of money to switch but, can I switch back if this does not work. Is it wise to change my meds now, he does not have my medical history yet and is already recommending new drugs, should I be concerned

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

Of course decisions are best made with the most information available. If you were having some specific toxicity or side effect from the medicine then a switch with the best information at hand would be warranted. The switch you describe could be a good one if you had no past history of having had viral failure or breakthrough on any past treatment and had not been infected by a drug resistant virus in the beginning. In that case then all of your options are open and a simplification strategy may be just fine. Best, Joe

Medication and AIDS Dementia Complex
Inosine effect HIV Test