Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

doctor please answer my questions
Feb 18, 2011

hi doctor first i want to ask if swelling of parotid gland a symptom of HIV?i have a swollen parotid gland and i have an impacted wisdom tooth growth could it be the reason?second,i had unprotected sex with my girl friend and it is the first time had sex in my life,we have been together 1year,note she had sex before 10months before we have sex together with another man,so i were to afraid from HIV and shy tested and get HIV negative result,does this mean i'm safe????please doctor answer my question as soon as u can,i've never get sex only this time....thnx for answering my question

Response from Dr. McGowan

Swelling of the parotid galnd may be a symptom of HIV (usually swelling on both sides. But this is not at all specific to HIV, in other words many other things, like a tooth infection can cause swollen glands in the neck.

If your girlfriend tested HIV negative more than 6 months after her most recent sex with another man then it is unlikely that she has HIV and therefore could not spread it to you, so you should be reassured.

That being said we now recommend that all people get an HIV test to now their status and, if negative, take steps to be safer and stay that way.

Best, Joe

Previous
I Just Combined Expired Reyetaz with New Rey . . . Combo with Epzicom
Next
Atripla & Metformin

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.