doctor please answer my questions

hi doctor first i want to ask if swelling of parotid gland a symptom of HIV?i have a swollen parotid gland and i have an impacted wisdom tooth growth could it be the reason?second,i had unprotected sex with my girl friend and it is the first time had sex in my life,we have been together 1year,note she had sex before 10months before we have sex together with another man,so i were to afraid from HIV and shy tested and get HIV negative result,does this mean i'm safe????please doctor answer my question as soon as u can,i've never get sex only this time....thnx for answering my question

Response from Dr. McGowan

Swelling of the parotid galnd may be a symptom of HIV (usually swelling on both sides. But this is not at all specific to HIV, in other words many other things, like a tooth infection can cause swollen glands in the neck.

If your girlfriend tested HIV negative more than 6 months after her most recent sex with another man then it is unlikely that she has HIV and therefore could not spread it to you, so you should be reassured.

That being said we now recommend that all people get an HIV test to now their status and, if negative, take steps to be safer and stay that way.

Best, Joe

I Just Combined Expired Reyetaz with New Rey . . . Combo with Epzicom
Atripla & Metformin