Atripla schedule and travel and live in SA

Hi doc, thanks for the time you spend answering all our questions. Mine are, is there any risk about taking my atripla pill between 10pm and midnight since because of my work it is almost impossible to take it at the exact time everyday??? I take it always between 10 pm and midnight. My second question is if im undectable and CD4 above 400 and I travel to South Africa, Do I have greater risk to contract TB since South Africa is one of the countries with the highest rate of TB (I got my TB test negative last month)??? thank you very much...

Hi and thanks for your post.

With the long half-life of the medications in Atripla, there's no particular reason why a 2 hour dosing window (ie., between 10PM and midnight) should have any impact on the effetiveness.

As to your second question, people living with HIV are at greater risk of acquiring tuberculosis, but as you suggest, with a normal-ish CD4 count, your risk is moderated. It would stand to reason to avoid circumstances that might put you at greater risk of getting exposed to TB (like going to the TB hospital or perhaps closed, crowed spaces), but most importantly, you should have repeat TB testing about three months after you return to home.

Hope this helps and safe travels, BY

Need an experienced HIV physician
I Just Combined Expired Reyetaz with New Rey . . . Combo with Epzicom