Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how to decrease a viral load
Feb 14, 2011

tested positive last year and my initial cd4 was 550 and ma viral load 9000,and recently went 4 check up ,cd4 1056 and viral load 12250 should i be worried about the increase level of da viral load and how to decrease it...im nt yet on any treatment bt im taking multivitamins daily

Response from Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for your post.

One should be aware that CD4s and viral load levels can vary from day to day without any clinical significance. Indeed, your viral load changes fall into this insignificant category; therefore I wouldn't be worried. Moreover, it's important to know that viral loads can increase if you've been sick or had a recent vaccination. For these reasons, we don't recommend getting VL tests within a couple of weeks after these events.

Your CD4 shows a pretty dramatic change, and I'd wonder if your CD4 percentage shows a similar increase or not (I'd bet not).

As for how to decrease viral loads, the aside from taking care of that other infection (like sinus or bladder infections), is to take HIV medications when appropriate. Multivitamins really won't have a significant impact. That's not to say that there aren't a whole set of preventive medical strategies (like vaccinations, smoking cessation, safe sex/drugs) that can have lasting health benefits.

I hope this is instructive. Be well, BY

Previous
missed 6 kaletra tablets in first week
Next
grapefruit interaction with drugs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.