I Just Combined Expired Reyetaz with New Rey . . .

The expired bottle was over about 6 months ago. I was planning to drive down to So. FLA for 2 months and wanted to condense, as I am a hoarder and over-packer by nature. What effects will this have, should I sound the alarm to my doctor, Dr. McG? Miriam B.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Dear Miriam B.

When a medication is past it's expiration date it's potency (effectiveness) cannot be assured. That being said, as long as the medication has not been exposed to adverse conditions (extreme heat, dampness, freezing, etc) it will not loose all strength on the date on the bottle. Especially if you are combining it with norvir. It should be OK, but you should tell your doctor so that your viral load can be carefully monitored. Since the new and the old capsules were mixed there is no way to tell them apart. One suggestion is to call your pharmacist and tell him/her what happened, many drug plans will allow you to get an extra month supply (usually a one-time deal) when something like this or loss of a bottle happens.

Best, Joe

ur say