Atripla Side Effects

Hello, I'm on my third day of Atripla and feel terrible. I haven't been able to sleep much as I have felt very "high" each night and feel very hung over, like I drank a 12-pack of beer in an hour and half the previous night by myself each morning. Does your body build up a tolerance and these side effects improve, and after how long? What can I do to try to avoid the side effects? I feel like I'm going nuts and can't concentrate.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Sorry to hear you are experiencing these side effects. These are not uncommon. In most people things do improve over the first few weeks on treatment. Taking the meds at bedtime and on an empty stomach (at least 2 hours after/before eating) may lessen the side effects. Being consistent about the timing is also important. If the side effects persist or become too much for you you should call your doctor. If you have to switch it is better to do it under guidance from your doctor to prevent drug resistance from emerging. Many people have this effect, so you are definitely not going nuts..if that is a consolation.

Best, Joe

A question for you Mr. McGowan
Once daily dosing of etravirine (Intelence)?