Is Acute Thrombocytopaenia AIDS-defining?

Is Acute Thrombocytopaenia AIDS-defining? I was hospitalized after being positive for about 1 year due to low platelets with symptoms; after bone marrow ruled out whatever it rules out,decision that lo p's were due to virus and I had to go on meds. Now I don't have that anymore . . . but does that mean if I were to stop meds I'd react the same and "bleed through" someplace

Response from Dr. McGowan

Having low platelets is a common side effect from having HIV infection. This can occur at any stage of the infection...early or later on. The virus can cause low platelets due to effects on the bone marrow (where the platelets are made) and can cause antibodies to be developed that destroy platelets. Treating the HIV can help restore the balance of platelets. Yes, there is a significant chance that if you stopped your HIV meds and let the virus grow that your platelets would drop again.

Joe

Test results at 9 weeks
hiv symptoms after 10 months