Undetectable, good C4T count, Dr. wants to change regiment.

Undetectable since 11/99 with CD4 count of 600+. My Dr. wants to change regiment due to continual high liver count. I have been on Fortovas, Nevirapine, and Zerit since 8/98. The Dr. wants me to stop Nevirapine and Fortovas but continue Zerit and start Videx EC, and Kaletra. I was on AZT and Videx in 12/95 stopped that in 4/97 and started Epivir, Zerit, and Nelfinavir, until 8/98 when I stopped Epivir and Nelfinavir and started my present regiment. I have adjusted well to drugs and I am comfortable on my present regiment. Question is what would be the problems with the new regiment and concerned about side effects. Thank you for your input.

Response from Dr. Pavia

Well, this is a question of the devil you know and the devil you don't know. The side effects of videx EC are generally mild with possible GI upset. The more serious risk is of pancreatitis or neuropathy. The risk is very low, unless you have other risk factors, but it is a serious illness.

With Kaletra, the common side effects are GI intolerance, most often loose stools or diarrhea. It may or may not have a greater impact on you cholesterol that the fortavase. Pancreatitis has also been associated with Kaletra, although it is unclear if it was really the Kaletra.

Virtually all HIV meds can increase liver function tests, especially in patients who also have hepatitis B or C. Generally, in the absence of hepatitis C, it is often safe to simply watch mild abnormalities, and make sure they don't get worse, rather than shifting.

Good luck

ATP

Treatment for HIVpositive pregnant women
IF Diagnosed early/When to start treatment