can i stop 1 arv

I have been on abc/3tc & EFV for 18months now (100% adherance). (cd4 300 + Vl undetect). 1 day after embarking on a backpacking holiday i received a message that showed a slight abnormality in my liver blood tests and could be related to the EFV. I have no access to HIV medical services for 3 weeks and have started to feel constantly tired. Can i stop the EFV but continue taking the ABC/3tc (until my return in 3weeks). Or do i risk becoming resistant to the whole NNRTI group?

Hello and thanks for your post.

It's difficult with the limited information in your post to know how abnormal your liver tests were, though it's not uncommon to see modest (<2 times upper limit of normal)abnormalities in persons living with HIV. Part of my concern is how abnormal your tests were and how unwell you're feeling now. Without details, it's difficult to advise you on your situation and how best to proceed on your holiday. Do you have access to any medical services? Phone service? If you do, I'd reach out to the available assistance.

That said, it would be distinctly unusual for you to have a new serious toxicity from your HIV medications after 18 months of success. Further, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the abnormality was due to the efavirenz or the ABC/3TC- and would definitely NOT stop one without stopping the other. To do so would quite possibly risk the irreversible emergence of drug resistance.

I hope this is helpful, BY

NB!! PEP Prescription incorrect
pnaseudomonas colinazation in the lungs