Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

reversing hiv medication related fat loss
Dec 31, 2010

is there any known prescription or non-prescription remedy or drug that is currently being used to promote fat cell rejuvination for hiv + or - people who for whatever reason have experienced significant loss of body fat...which psychologically is far more dmaging than having hiv for an hiv person.secondly are there any trials adressing this important issue, either on going or being planned?? and pharmaceutically, are the any medications that are being looked at or being developed to address this serious problem??? lastly,if someone is on a limited fixed income and has medicare A,B, and D as well as medical... are there cosmetic remedies that are available that are fully covered to address this vital issue. obvious body fat loss is psychoogically debilitaiting in terms of self worth, self love, and self esteem. it can be paralyzing in so many ways and lead to a sense of worthlessness and thoughts of why bother going on.not being dramatic, just being real. it is a very important issue for me and hundreds of thousands of others who fight this mental battle every day. whatever answers you can provide are greatly appreciated and any efforts that you can make to ensure this aspect of hiv disease is addressed sooner than later would help so many people,,,well beyond your wildest dreams.my brain, drive and determination are fully intact and my passion for making a contribution in my lifetime to the world of which i am a part is being sabotaged by the physical and psychological battle that this brutal side affect is having.i am taking epsicom and sustiva and have been lucky to remain otherwise healthy, and undetectable. please help us all. thank you so much ;-)p.s. apologies for the length of my question/statement.

Response from Dr. McGowan

The treatment of fat loss or lipoatrophy remains challenging with no one treatment showing consistent promise to date for generalized fat wasting. The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) announced earlier this year that it will begin to cover FDA-approved treatments for Medicare beneficiaries who have facial fat wasting. If facial fat wasting is what you are experiencing you should speak to your doctor about these FDA approved agents even if you do not have Medicare. Thanks Joe

Previous
AM I SAFE?
Next
Messed up my PEP

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.