expuose to the HIV virus in a fight

how probably is that i could have been infected in a fight with a theft(african american hiv +ve), that hurt me in my head with something that he had in his hand( ring or jewerly) if he had been bleeding and his blood could have been into my laceration ( 5 stiches in the hospital), i had a test result 7 weeks,11 weeks and 14 weeks -ve. should i make another one in 6 months or really is a urban myth flip from negative to positive in 10 weeks

Response from Dr. McGowan

Sorry to hear about your injury. If there was the possibility of blood to blood contact through the wound I would suggest getting the 6 month test just to put it to rest. It is true that over 95% of cases would be identified by 3 months, but a test at 6 months would cover even those rare cases of late conversion. Some newer tests that incorporate P24 antigen screening with antibody may elimate the need for these later tests.

Best, Joe

WEIGHT
HIV test and testing prerequsites