Follow up quesion on Anal Wart

Hi Doctor McGowan, Thanks a lot for your answer. A follow up question please. I was told by my doctor that he can only perform a digital rectal and short proctoscope . Apparently, this hospital here does not do anal paps since they cannot do high resolution anoscopy. What are my options then? Should I seek out another independent lab/hospital that can do this? But I am not sure how much this will cost me. I am worried and would want to protect myself the best I can from the get go. Thanks a lot again.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question. This is an evolving area, so it may be that people do not have the resources to do complete screening. Any clinics that can do cervical Pap smears for women should be able to do the anal Paps, they will need to call the lab taht does the interpretation and ask them which fixative (bottles of liquid that preserve the cells) they need to use. It is a quite simple procedure. The rectal exams are not able to find microscopic changes to the mucous membrane linings the way a Pap would. Also any office that does SRD screening could do the test, or through a colo-rectal specialist.

Best, Joe

Truvada+Viramune dosage
WEIGHT