Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

re-"question about "occult HIV infection"&"inactive hiv carrier"
Dec 20, 2010

hello Dr: first i am thankful for your reply about my question(http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Current/Q212040.html). but now i am still so worry about HIV,so i want to hear your professional advice. My only exposure is about 15seconds oral on a gril in the massage club,and i was sure there was no blood of her but didn't remember if she was wet or not. I've tested several times with antibody tests out to 12 months after this exposure,by the way i always keep myself a very healthy status before(i had body check everyyear),then i am still so worried because of this kind of study. so now ,i have several questions,and i would trust every word you said to me,hope everything goes fine. 1.I am worried if i could be someone like these ESNs,does this related to repeatly exposure or someother factors? 2.I may have my wedding next year,so iam really worried now,i am worried if i may carry the virus and make my girl sick!? 3.Do you think if i need some more tests to rule out the risk?and can i be sure i am fine now then to marry my girl without worries?

I really want to hear your advice, please help me!

thanks Dr a panic young fiance

Response from Dr. McGowan

Dear Fiance,

Do not panic, stop worrying. From what you tell me you are not infected with HIV. Testing negative after 12 months is an excellent sign. Also, your risk was very low for acquiring HIV from oral-vaginal sexual contact on intact skin. Lastly, since you have not reported multiple sexual partners you would not fall into the category of the highly exposed uninfected. Any way, if you were so lucky as to be "resistant" to HIV infection this would help, not hurt, your fiance.

Best, Joe

Previous
HepA and Flu shots
Next
Switching from sustiva to kaletra? Please post, I am so depressed!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.