Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

am i a viremic controller?
Dec 6, 2010

Hi Dr. thanks for the information you give us. I was diagnosed 9 months a go, in march 2010. My first labs showed CD4 430 and viral load 1050 copies/ml. Four months after that, in july, mi labs showed CD4 580 and viral load 555 copies/ml. Mi doctor said that my viral load is very low. I am only taking a multivitamin. Is it possible that i will become a viremic controller o even a elite controller??? I will tell you about my next labs in december

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your post.

Most "long-term nonprogressors" will have low viral loads (less than 5-10,000 copies/ml) without using meds. That would put you in a very good place. The height of the viral load is a reasonable marker for predicting how fast the Cd4 count may decline over time. An "elite controler" would be a person with an undetectable viral load off treatment. You may not fit that category but, with your low viral load, it should be very easy to suppress if you do need treatment at some point.

It is very important that you continue to see your doctor and get your levels checked routinely as things can change over time as your virus may mutate to better adapt to your immune system and the viral load may increase at some point.

Best, Joe

Previous
about colities
Next
Should I start my treatment? 6 months ago numbers were ok

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.