Meds Combo

I have been off meds for quite some time. I have some anxiety with starting new meds due to the initial side effects. I am now seeing a new doctor who prescribed three medications- Kaletra solution (2x day), Zidovudine solution (2x), and Viread (1x day). Is this a common combination of meds?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Sorry to hear about your initial poor experience with meds.

No this is not a common combination. By your choice of liquids, do you have problems with swallowing tablets?

Depending on the amount of drug resistance that your virus carries it may be possible to construct combinations with liquids or dissolvable meds. Kaletra liquid may cause stomach and gastro-intestinal side effects but the volume is little...some peole mix it with strong tasting food or liquids (like juice or peanut butter, etc). Other liquid meds that could be used in combination are Epivir or Ziagen. Intelence (an NNRTI) is easily dissolvable in water and is colorless and has no flavor. Some peole find that easy. Work with your doctor to find the combo that will be effective, safest and most tolerable for you.

Best, Joe

Viramune and St Johns Wart
NON REACTIVE HEPATITIS B