|Viramune and St Johns Wart
Nov 29, 2010
What's the latest on using Viramune and St johns Wart
| Response from Dr. McGowan
Thanks for your question.
St John's Wort should not be used with Nevirapine (Viramune) or any NNRTI, any Protease Inhibitor nor with Selzentry (maraviroc). St John's Wort will speed up liver metabolism of these medications so that they cannot maintain a blood level adequate to treat HIV. The effects can last for up to 2 weeks. Using both together will not only lessen the effect of the HIV meds but can lead to development of drug resistance due to inadequate viral suppression.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Fever After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Flaky Skin After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Painful Ejaculation After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Hole In Condom Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Sex With Hooker Worried I Have HIV
- Can You Take Pap Smear Test If You Are Virgin?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.