Kaletra??

I had a high risk exposure, got put on Combivir and Kaletra for 28 days, 12 hours after the incident and it has been 7 days of taking it without missing it. I have been getting horrid nausea, just the thought of the pill makes it repulsive and highly difficult to keep myself from puking. Keep on getting mad headaches and diarrea. My question is, Is the combivir alone effective after 14 days or 21 days of taking both?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Sorry to hear that you are having so many side effects.

The nausea may be from either the combivir or the Kaletra, both are known culprits,

Yu must discuss with your provider why this combo was chosen, if it was based on knowledge of drug resistance from the source of the exposure any change should be made with that in mind. If that was not the case, but just a high risk exposure without known drug resistence a change could be made. The CDC does recommend a 3 drug combo be used. In New York, we use Combivir + viread. You should talk to your doctor about a switch.

Best,

Joe

Please post, important
recenrly diagnoise