Only prescribed combivir

Last night I was in a sporting accident (Judo) and somehow cut my thumb on the tooth of another player during practice. I then noticed that his gums were bleeding and his teeth were covered in his blood. needless to say i was freaked out and went to a clinic within 2 hours. After seeing the duty doctor, I was prescribed Combivir for 28 days.

I've been doing some reading and notice that most people at risk are prescribed a three mediaction treatment. I understand that combivir is only a two medication PEP mediaction.

Should I be concerned about this? Should I request a three medication treatment?

I was told that combivir was just the hospitals standard protocol treatment for possible hiv exposure. would a three medicine treatment be more effective? i have seen some comments from doctors saying that combivir on its own may not be effective PEP treatment. is that true?

I have no allergies to any medication and only told the duty doctor exactly what I just told you. I'm thinking about starting a young family and I want to give myself the best chances of being ok so need to know if what i'm getting is not the best PEP treatment.

thanks for your help

Response from Dr. McGowan

Current CDC Guidelines would place this as a low risk situation. Since you do not know the HIV status of your Judo partner there may be no risk at all if he is negative. In fact prophylaxis would only be warranted if he had risk factors for HIV. In this setting a 2 drug combination is acceptable according to CDC guidelines and combivir would be acceptable in that setting. Most important to start early and complete the 28 day course and go for follow-up testing at 6 weeks, 12 weeks and 6 months.

Joe

help n rescue
symtoms of hiv