pregnant but tested positive with hiv but not taking drugs

Hello, As stated above and am not taking the drugs because my cd4 is 556. do i need to take the drug with the cd4 count. I am skeptical because i was adviced that with my cd4 count my baby should be safe and its better avoiding the side effects of AZT for my cd4 count gives me safety from MCT. Hoping to hear from you.

regards Elee

Response from Dr. McGowan

Dear Elee.

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

During pregnancy their are 2 goals for antiretroviral therapy:

1) to prevent disease progression for the mother and 2) to prevent HIV from being transmitted to the baby.

It is true that for the former you may not need treatment, but for the latter goal it is advisable to start treatment.

Usually we would start treatment in the second trimester of pregnancy...around 14 weeks. This would lessen the risk to the baby since the organs are already formed by that stage.

Getting the viral load as low as possible (best undetectable) during the preganacy and especially at delivery is most important to protect the baby from infection. Breastfeeding should also be avoided (unless you live in a place that lacks access to clean water for formula feeds).

The CD4 count has little impact on the risk of transmitting virus, the viral level in the blood is most important for determining risk of passing HIv to your baby.

Hoping you have a healthy and happy baby. Joe

in search of some clarity please help thank you
follow up to Dr McGowans response...