Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr Mcgowan I looked in the archives before I asked
Nov 7, 2010

Hello, I was browsing through the archives to determine my level of risk just like everyone else who I persume visits this website half out of their mind with worry.

My risk was insertive oral, getting head. In 2006 it said the risk is virtually nonexistent but recently in a reply posted to the guy who received oral wearing a condom it said the risk is nonexistent when you wear a condom.

My question is how does one get HIV from receiving oral sex or is Saliva now considered a strong enough fluid to transmit? If not if it is blood in the mouth instead, would that blood have to get into a sore or a cut on your penis or is it through your urethra same with the saliva if saliva is the culpret.

This is upsetting to me because I gauge what is safer sex through the website but these things change from year to year.

Thank you

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

The main risk from oral sex does come from blood or cells that may be in the saliva. So if someone has just brushed their teeth, flossed or has gingivitis (gum disease) the risks would be higher.

Joe

Previous
SHOULD I STOP TAKING PEP, HELP ME SCARED STUDENT
Next
in search of some clarity please help thank you

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.