Dr Mcgowan I looked in the archives before I asked

Hello, I was browsing through the archives to determine my level of risk just like everyone else who I persume visits this website half out of their mind with worry.

My risk was insertive oral, getting head. In 2006 it said the risk is virtually nonexistent but recently in a reply posted to the guy who received oral wearing a condom it said the risk is nonexistent when you wear a condom.

My question is how does one get HIV from receiving oral sex or is Saliva now considered a strong enough fluid to transmit? If not if it is blood in the mouth instead, would that blood have to get into a sore or a cut on your penis or is it through your urethra same with the saliva if saliva is the culpret.

This is upsetting to me because I gauge what is safer sex through the website but these things change from year to year.

Thank you

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

The main risk from oral sex does come from blood or cells that may be in the saliva. So if someone has just brushed their teeth, flossed or has gingivitis (gum disease) the risks would be higher.

Joe

SHOULD I STOP TAKING PEP, HELP ME SCARED STUDENT
in search of some clarity please help thank you