Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Cold And Flu
Nov 1, 2010

I recently read a question to a well-known doctor at another HIV site about colds and flu. The doc said people with HIV are no more likely to get colds or flu than HIV neg folks. He also said having HIV would not make a cold or flu worse than if you were neg. He explained this is due to colds and flu affecting a different part of the immune system or something like that.

So, I'm wondering why so many HIVers believe they get more colds and flu and/or are very scared to get them? And, why do health professionals really push the flu vaccine for us? Don't get me wrong, I get my vaccinations and believe in them. However, I was planning to get mine at my next appt next month, but they keep saying, "You better get it now. Getting the flu would be really bad for you."

So, what's the deal? Are we more prone to cold and flu than neg people? And, are we more likely to have problems if we do get sick? I remember with H1N1, it was people with really healthy immune systems who died with researchers believing their great immune system is what killed them.

Thank you very much for all you do!

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for your timely question. People living with HIV are at increased risk from the complications of seasonal influenza infection and for this reason it is recommended that they receive an annual 'flu vaccination. The interplay between H1N1 influenza infection and HIV is not completely understood. Even so, it is a good idea that people living with HIV receive the H1N1 vaccine. Indeed, the current inactivated flu vaccine (which is the vaccine recommended in people living with HIV) in the US incorporates vaccination for both seasonal influenza and H1N1 influenza. Thanks Joe

Previous
CD4 with out hiv
Next
When Should I Test For HIV/AIDS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.