Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Atripla resistance
Oct 21, 2010

I just received my first genotype testing and I am resistant to Atripla (I've been diagnosed for 22 years and I've been on Atripla for the last 3 years). Are there any other regimens that would allow me to take pills once a day? THANKS

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for your post.

I'm a little unclear by your post. Is your viral load detectable currently? Or is it undetectable?

Assuming that it is detectable and demonstrates resistance to the medications in Atripla (tenofovir/FTC and efavirenz), a switch to an alternative regimen is definitely in order. Depending on the specifics of your resistance profile, it might be possible to construct a once-daily, second-line regimen with a boosted protease inhibitor (such as darunavir (Prezista), atazanavir (Reyataz), fosamprenavir (Lexiva) or lopinavir (Kaletra) with another once-daily nuke combo (such as abacavir/3TC (Epzicom)). Raltegravir (Isentress) is a great option for second-line regimens with a boosted PI, but is currently approved for twice-daily dosing. That said, many doctors do prescribe this once-daily, in light of emerging evidence that suggests that this is acceptable (but not yet FDA-approved).

However, before switching to a new regimen, it's important to introspectively evaluate (and deal with) the reasons why you have drug resistance now- it is because of transmitted resistance or because of suboptimal pill taking. Lastly, I'll say that one should be sure to strive to get maximum potency from the next regimen, rather than only focusing on dosing frequency.

I hope this helps, and best of health to you, BY

Previous
drop the ziagen?
Next
Takin only one combivir tablet daily

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.