missed day 2 of Truvada

I started a pep regimen of Truvada and Combivir within 24 hours after my hiv exposure. On day 2 I took the Combivir (which is twice daily) and was planning on taking the Truvada later that day so it would be closer to the 24 hours recommended. I forgot and took 2 Truvada on the morning of the 3rd day within 72 hours after exposure. Did not taking the Truvada the 2nd day increase my risk for seroconversion? Also does alcohol decrease the medications effectiveness?

Hello and thanks for your post.

First off, Truvada and Combivir?? This is not a recommended post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) regimen. Either of the medications alone, taken for 28 days (or 1 month) would be adequate and consistent with any treatment guideline.

I don't think that your mis-dosing will cause any significant problems or increase risk of acquiring HIV, nor does alcohol (in moderation) have an effect on the potency of your medications.

I'd go back to your doctor (or pharmacy) to clarify your medications- from the face of it, it appears that they are not aware of current US Treatment Guidelines for Post Exposure Prophylaxis.

Be well, BY

is nexium safe to take while taking chantix
Coconut Oil Studies Effects on HIV