body changes. switch to viread?

my body is changing. can i change meds from stavudine to viread

Hello and thanks for your post.

Switches from one medication to another should be done thoughtfully and should take into account any risk for drug resistance or toxicity of the medications. In your case, I'll assume that the body changes that you allude to include peripheral fat wasting (lipoatrophy)- a common longer-term complication of stavudine (d4T, Zerit)- containing treatment. Indeed, because of this and other potential toxicities of the medication, d4T is no longer a part of either a preferred or alternative treatment HIV treatment regimens in the US or Europe.

Assuming that d4T is part of your first and suppressive treatment regimen, and that you don't have any particular risks for the uncommon, but characteristic side effects/toxicity of tenofovir (Viread, part of Truvada and Atripla; namely kidney or bone disease), I'd think that the switch from d4T to TDF-based treatment should be effective and safe.

I hope this helps, BY

Elevated Lipase
undetectable