hiv

I had sex with someone that have hiv. Even though he did not ejaculate inside me, I was stll worried because I of pre ejaculation. I went to the hospital 4 hours after having unprotected sex with him. The doctor prescibed Lamivudine Zidovudine (Combivir) and Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate (Viread 300mg)for 5 days. Do you think I am at risk of contracting hiv.

Response from Dr. McGowan

HIV can be carried in the pre-ejaculate. So you may indeed have had an exposure to HIV. The risk would be weighed by the amount of virus in his blood, the type of sexual contact (receptive anal or vaginal being most risky) and whether or not yu had any sores or genital tract infection.

It is good that you went and started prophylactic meds as soon as possible. That can significantly lower your chance of becomming infected. you should follow through on the 28 days of treatment and the lab tests that are suggested.

Hope things turn out well for you. Joe

What exactly is Baseline?
16 YEARS OLD FEMAIL CD4 =8