WOUNDS

HI Dr. i am from india. on my friends hand present a wound. which is a quite dried and there were no fresh blood present on his wound. once day i was shaking hands with him for about 2 to 3 sec. during this my finger get connect to his wound. after, with this finger my pimple present on my face get broken and some bleeding out from pimple. can you tell me what are the chances of diagnosing HIV? can i have to perform ELISA test?

Response from Dr. McGowan

The scenario you describes would not represent a significant risk for HIV transmission.

First you do not know even if he is infected, second there was no exposure to his body fluids since the wound was not open, third the skin on your hand was intact which is a great barrier to HIV entry even if you had a pimple on your face their would be essentially no chance to pass any virus.

The second question: should you have an HIV test: I would say YES. Not because of this incident but because it makes sense for evryone to know if they are infected or not with HIV.

Best, Joe

Using Cancer Drugs to Treat HIV
information n guide