Im taking Fuzeon

I have been on Fuzeon for almost two years. The nurse who instructed me, told me I should take it Subcutle (SC). About three months ago, I started taking it IM because when I take SC it leaves large bumps under my skin, even when I massage where I give me my shot. I asked my pharmist (I go to a Veterans Administration Hospital for treatment) and she said she would have to do some research on it. She got back to me and she said she called the company, talked with other nurses, pharmist and doctors. They all said they did not know. So I said we will have to wait till October (my next blood test) to see if it works. My question to you is am I doing anything bad by giving me for Fuzeon IM. Thankx

Response from Dr. McGowan

I have not had a patient use the drug IM. The reason that no one can give a straigth answer is that the drug has not been studied in this way. The issues are related to how well the drug get absorbed into the blood from different tissues (subcutaneous versus intamuscular) and possible side effects from giving it IM. Usually we have to study many patients to know the blood levels after giving the drug this way. Since you have been doing it for 3 months best to see the viral load results now. Best, Joe

changing meds
Volunteering for phase 3 Gilead GS-9350 study