Condom broken with prostitute, should I get PE?

Dear Doctor,

I had sex with a prostitute and the condom broke. The sex lasted 8-10 minutes, thinking back the condom must have broke almost immediately. Less than 12 hours passed since then. She claims that she is negative and was tested recently. I washed with soap and water and put over the counter triple antibiotic cream on the penis.

I am 22, uncircumcised, otherwise healthy and with a fast metabolism (heard this may affect chance of infection, not sure). What is my chance of infection if she were positive? Would you recommended doing a PEP course?

Thank you, Alex

Hello Alex and thanks for your post.

If you've had a potential exposure to HIV (as you may have had), then non-occupational exposure prophylaxis (nPEP) guidelines would suggest treatment, if treatment can be initiated with 72 hours of the event. After this time, there is not any benefit to treatment.

Know that such exposures aren't just about HIV, there is the additional possibility of other sexually transmitted infections, such as herpes, syphilis, gonnorrhea and hepatitis. Your doctor(s) should be alter for screening and/or treating these as well.

Last, your "fast metabolism" has nothing to do with one's risk of getting HIV.

Be well, BY

your help 2
abott