Truvada is causing my kidney to leak Phosphorus, what's the alternative?

Both my HIV (Primary Care Physician) and my Kidney specialist,MD. Tell me that Truvada (tenofovir) is causing my kidney to leak phosphorus. What can I replace the "Truvada" with ? My other meds are Norvir and Reyataz. My viral load un un-detectable & my CD-4 count is around 580.

Hello and thank you for your post.

Your doctors are correct, the tenofovir component of Truvada is associated with kidney injury in some people.

Depending on the degree of kidney injury, it seems very reasonable to consider, therefore, alternatives to the tenofovir. Current US treatment guidelines would offer abacavir (Ziagen, or half of Epzicom) as an excellent alternative for such circumstances, provided that genetic testing (called HLA B5701 haplotype) is negative (for risk of allergic reaction).

If your genetic testing clears you (as it should in ~95% of the US population), a switch from Truvada to Epzicom should allow for continued viral suppression and avoidance of any potential additional kidney injury.

I hope this helps; let us know how things turn out for you.

Be well, BY

Is it safe to simplify?
your help 2