PEP Question

Dear Doc Joe

Where to start, I had unprotected oral and protected anal sex with a guy of unknown status(even though he claims to be negative, he refused to go get tested with me claiming it was unnecessary). Within 24 hours I got started on combivir and after 30 days of hell I finished my dose. I tested negative on a 4th generation Elisa at 2 weeks, 6 weeks and 3 months. I also tested negative for HEP A,B and C IgA and IgB(or G i think). Also I have been feeling tired for a while now even after the PEP, I am tired as I am writing this message. Is the 3 month conclusive?, Is the 1 month conclusive?. also if I need to do 6 months, do I have to wait exactly 6 months or is 5 months and 3 weeks sufficient, both for the HEP tests and the ELISA.

Thank you Mark

Response from Dr. McGowan

The guidelines suggest that you get a repeat HIV test at 6 months after possible exposure...but if you got the test at 5 months and 3 weeks that would be OK. I think the anxiety and concern you are displaying should be kept in mind. It is much better to take appropriate precautions and practice safer sex than to go through post exposure prophylaxis and the testing protocol.

Thank you. Joe

hiv
Is it safe to simplify?