Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

is my PVL undetectable
Sep 26, 2010

di Dr, my readings are as below. plasma viral load 103 as per AMPLICOR HIV-1 MONITOR Test with out medication. CD4 750, CD4% 28. All other tests related to different organs, CBC, HCV,HBSag normal. The test was performed 4 months after i had unprotected sex.I was tested HIV negative 2 weeks after unprotected sex and did not test the same again . I fear with my viral load that level 4 months after infection could it be false. How do u view this results. My plv report also quotes as " Provisional number values lower then the low detection limit of the test kit is 400 copies/ml ( standard protocol) what is this and do i mean to have undetected PVL. Please help.

Response from Dr. McGowan

My suggestion is that you complete HIV antibody testing three months post exposure. If the three month test is negative, you should have a repeat test at six months and if this is negative then you do not have HIV infection (as long as there has been no further exposure in between). You should not rely on the HIV viral load to diagnose HIV infection at this point.

Thanks Joe

Previous
candida sp throat infection
Next
multiple body inflammations after starting hiv and tb treatment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.