candida sp throat infection

My husband is 32yr old and had recently done a throat swab culture which showed Candida Sp .He and myself had a series of sore throats in past 4 months which was not completely responsive to many antibiotics which was given to reduce the infection.The first time i acquired the sore throat doctor had throat culture test done and told it was a staphylococcus aureus infection of throat but after treatments of trimol,klavox,ceftas,and desloratidine tabs for each recurrent episode nothing stayed up too long and the sore throat just reoccurred within 1-2wks accompanied with fever.But then the next time I was given Azi once by the doctor and luckily mine reduced but for my husband it just continued this time with high fever and the need for paracetamol every 4 hrs with little reduction.He was on ciprofloxacin 500 during the time showing no result ,fever continued CBC results where normal for both of us.This was when throat swab culture was told for him and candida sp was found.Doctor has prescribed a piodine mouth gargle ,IBUPROFEN tab and Omeprazole tab.He still has the fever,burning senation ,nausea and abdominal discomfort.Anyhow taking these med since 1 day now.Doctor we are so much worried due to all this. ,we would really be relieved if we have your valuable advice and suggestion on this situation ,medication and diet that would help him get well.Hope to get reply from you soon.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Candida infections of the mouth and throat are not unique to HIV infection. People who have been courses of antibiotics or on a course of steroids (oral or inhaled) or individuals with diabetes (especially with poor sugar control) can be susceptible to candidal infections of the oropharynx. I would suggest that your husband seek the opinion of an ear, nose and throat specialist (ENT) prior to initiating another course of antibiotics or other treatment modalities/regimens.

Good luck Joe

hiv/aids
is my PVL undetectable