FOLLOW UP HIV SPREAD FROM FOOD PREPARED BY HIV+ person

Thank you for responding to my question "HIV SPREAD FROM FOOD PREPARED BY HIV+ person" yesterday. I do appreciate and value your time. The situation is actually my child who ate a hot dog handled by a person that got the blood on the outside of the bun...she's 8 years old. I am worried that she has a retainer and a cut in her mouth. I have read on your site that it is possible for hiv transmission through the mouth and that a child has gotten hiv from blood on a toothbrush. I am beyond worried to the point of tears. I apologize if you feel you have answered this already but I wanted to give you details so you could further advise. Please help me. THANK YOU

Response from Dr. McGowan

When we discuss HIV transmission we always have to discuss broad possibilities. In an abstract sense what you need to transmit HIV is virus and an opening for it to get into the body. Yes, both of these were potentially present in the circumstance you describe, but the actual risk is exceedingly small. While ANY risk is too much when it involves your child I want to assure you that the actual risk is minimal at best.

I hope you can have some peace on this matter. Going for HIV testing may put you at rest since you may worry about this until you get definite confirmatiuon that she is going to be OK.

Joe

A Dilemma
a toilet paper with blood can I get Hiv