Skin Rashes while taking Truvada and Stocrin

Last night was my third day of taking the meds - Truvada and Stocrin. I have a slight fever after came from work. I took the medicine on time and go to sleep. When I woke this morning, i noticed skin rashes all over my arm, my body, and legs. The skin rashes looks like those of having a Measles. I don't have rashes on my face though. Is this is a normal side effects? or something that i need to be worried about?

On the first day I took the medicine, I experienced severe hangover the next day. However, the nausea has gone later in the afternoon. Till now, I don't experience the nausea anymore but there is still a slight feeling of having a big head? is this normal also?

Hello and thanks for your post.

Rash is an uncommon, but not rare side effect of many HIV medications, including efavirenz (Sustiva, Stocrin, part of Atripla) and tenofovir/FTC (Truvada). By simple odds, it's most likely due to the efavirenz in your treatment regimen.

While sometimes the rash will subside on its on, other times, the rash can become quite serious and require treatment modifications.

I'd suggest contacting your healthcare provider to assess the severity of your situation and need (if any) to switch.

Be well, BY

Got flu shot and forgot to take meds the same night
Chantix and Truvada/Sustiva therapy