inconclusive HIV testing results

Hi I was recently diagnosed with HIV (viral load of 50,000 and t cell of 84) by using the blood test method, but when I am tested with the rapid oral tests I still show as HIV negative. Can you explain how this can happen? I had to tell some of my partners to go get a blood test, luckily they have all tested negative.

Hello and thank you for your post.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis; one type of false negative testing results from patients who have very low CD4 counts (like you)- such can be the case where the patient's immune system is so impaired that there are impaired antibody responses to HIV. This could explain why the lesser sensitive oral rapid test was negative, but the more sensitive blood test was positive (and confirmed with the HIV viral load).

I hope this helps, BY

Lack of Ritonavir
Got flu shot and forgot to take meds the same night