For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

HIV and weight loss

Dear Dr Thank you so much for this column.I am HIV+ and recently started arv's(truvada&nevaripine)in July. I am overweight(163lbs) and started with Herbal life shake to help me lose weight. Will that have any effect on my medicine?

Hello and thanks for your post.

In general, dietary supplements don't have significant interactions with HIV medications. The issue is to know what all of the ingredients in the supplement are-- only with this information can the details to your question be answered. As such, it would be good to communicate your concerns (both about weight and the Herbal Life product) to your healthcare provider.

I hope this helps, BY

Sweats at night