RE: Question About CD4 counts

Hi Dr.Young; Thanks for your response. It is really a relief knowing people like yourself are there to lend a willing hand to those in need.

Continuing from my previous question, in your experience, what is the average or mean time in number of months or years that a patient can go without needing a change in regimen? And on average, how many regimen changes on average can be used at this stage by a patient before running out of options? This just ot get an idea of how long in average number of years can a person newly infected this year can expect to survive.

Thanks. Curious Reader.

Hello, thanks for your post and comments.

The answer to your question depends a bit on how much drug resistance is present. In general though, for limited resistance patterns, next-line treatments can be effective for many, many years. I just took care of someone who had first-line treatment failure in 1999-- to be fully suppressed on second line treatment for over 11 years now.

So, there's no particular reason (other than poorly selected- or poorly adhered treatment) that one is going to fail the next line of treatment.

For first regimens, the story is the same-- I expect well adhered to regimens to last for decades- or long enough that there will be a treatment change because of improvements in treatment options, but not because of drug resistance.

In the end, potent regimens should mean for years (decades) of AIDS-free survival.

I hope this helps, BY

Does food make Isentress stronger ?
Mechanism of resistance? How does it work