Does food make Isentress stronger ?

My doc told me to take my Isentress with food because it would make it work a little bit better. Other people I chatted with in HIV forums say that's not true and that it doesn't matter if you take with food or not. The FDA materials do say something about fatty meals increasing Cmax and AUC but I don't know what any of that means exactly. Can you please explain ?

Hello and thanks for your post.

Raltegravir (Isentress) is FDA approved to be taken with or without food. Taking RAL with food in the stomach tends to increase absorption of the medication-- increasing the area under the curve (AUC), a measure of drug concentration over time as well as the maximum drug concentration (Cmax). Neither has been correlated with virological or clinical response to the medication.

I hope that helps, BY

HIV Exposure through work!
RE: Question About CD4 counts