Is My Doctor "With It"?

Dx: HIV CD4: 230 So, he started me on 1)Atripla (reg dose); 2) isentress --400 mg every 12 hrs, and 3) Abacavir 200 mg --1x day. I don't have any "complications" and have been RELIGIOUS about never missing a dose since I've started 5 mos ago. My friends say Atripla would be enough to have started, as did another doctor who said he was "mystified" that I got the abacavir. Is taking 5 drug cocktail bad or what? The second-opinion Dr. said the abacavir was unnecessary w/ Atripla. Original Dr. said "DON"T STOP ANYTHING" But I'm still scared I'm doing the wrong thing. My CD4 has gone up to 290 and ud vl. I'm 53, pretty good heath. What do you think?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your post.

I do not have access to all of the data that your doctor may have...such as resistance tests, etc. Some doctors like the notion of hitting the virus very hard early (especially if the viral load is very high) and then simplifying treatment later. There is no firm data that this would be better than standard treatment and adds a burden for adherence, but since you are religious about it it would be no less effective. May potentially expose to unnecessary side effects.

I would question him on a few points:

1) Have him explain what his rationale is for the expanded treatment...you should be comfortable with the answer. 2) The dose of abacavir is too low if it is to be counted as a fully active drug (usually 300 mg twice daily, or 600 mg once daily). Is that an error?

Best, Joe

Shouldn't my viral load be undetectable
PEP with Truvada for occpational exposure