Whats after PEP?

I was exposed to HIV through semen on my mouth sore and i was on PEP treatment for a month (was taking combivir twice a day). Now i am done with it and was wondering what am i suppose to do next? Also, what are my chances of getting HIV positive through this kind of exposure??? Thanks

Hello and thanks for your post.

You ask excellent questions. Following PEP treatment, one should continue to get periodic laboratory monitoring-- I recommend getting a HIV test (and hepatitis antibody testing) at 1 and 3 months after the exposure. Also, since PEP can rarely be associated with side effects or toxicity, symptom-based or general laboratory monitoring is reasonable. Oral transmission of HIV is very rare-- coupled with PEP, I'd think that your risk of HIV infection (positivity) is exceptionally low. Lastly, while very uncommon, since HIV infection is still possible, I recommend after PEP, that you continue to practice safe habits (sex and drugs).

I hope this is helpful, BY

effects of med
GAS PROBLEM