Meds.

Hello Dr. I have a question. I am a 28 year old man. Who has been undetectable for over a year now. My doctor is now seeing a increase in the volume with some in my liver and may put me on new meds. I take a tripla. Will this effect me in any way. and create a problem for me with the meds and cause a resistance. Also I noticed when taking the atripla it says to take on an empty stomach is it okay to eat before or even after it . Sometimes i just be hungry. lol. Please let me know.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Just want to be sure...your viral load is undetectable, but there is an increase in your liver function tests? That indeed may prompt a switch in treatment. If it is actually and increase in viral load then make sure that your doctor has tested the virus to make certain that Atripla would still be active.

Atripla could be taken with food, that will not in any way weaken it against HIV. The reason we recommend taking it without food is because the blood levels of one of the 3 meds inside Atripla (the efavirenz) goes up with food. Higher blood levels may cause symptoms such as bad dreams, dizziness and insomnia. That being said I have patients who take it with food and feel fine. You can see for yourself how you feel.

Joe

looking for a doctor in Bangkok
Possible undiagnosed thrush and Amoxicillin